idiom-madness

Extraordinary stories and conversations - all ORIGINAL!

Moderator: rain

rain

idiom-madness

Post by rain » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:57 pm

My neighbour is up on charges of feline murder. I think there is something wrong with the whole family actually - I've never liked the Curiosities.

ejaewon
Site Admin

Letting the cat out of the bag

Post by ejaewon » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:43 am

Well I feel a little guilty actually - I should have just left it there so they couldn't find it... you see I was the one who let the little pussy out of the flexible container with a single opening...

rain

Letting sleeping dogs lie

Post by rain » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:49 am

You had good reason to put it in there if I recall, wasn't that cat the one who would not let the slumbering canines remain prone?

ejaewon
Site Admin

His bark is worse than his bite

Post by ejaewon » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:01 am

Yes - yes it was. A noisy pup too - I'd rate his woofing sound a good 7 on a scale of one to ten, ten being the worst. When he savaged me though, I was quite surprised. If asked to rate that experience I'd probably only give it a 4 or 5.

rain

You can lead a horse to water ...

Post by rain » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:06 am

I also had a rather surprising experience with one of my pets the other day. You remember Snowball? My black mare with four white socks? Well I was taking her for a walk down to the lake, and you know what? There was no way I could cajole her into partaking of the H2o, although I was eventually quite rough ...

ejaewon
Site Admin

Locking the stable door after the horse has bolted

Post by ejaewon » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:14 am

You obviously haven't checked on Snowball today... Well I'd better confess.

I had a sudden urge earlier to visit Snowball and have a quick ride before coming to work you see. I didn't think you'd mind. The thing is, when I opened the stable door the beastly creature just took off. I was a little irritated so I thought I'd close the door to teach it a lesson. I then locked it for good measure - horses these days are getting more and more dextrous!

So how are you?

rain

No use beating a dead horse

Post by rain » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:28 am

To be honest I am slightly taken aback, yet relieved! I did check on Snowball this morning, and when I noticed she was not there, I followed her tracks. I eventually found her, lying on her back with her legs in the air. Assuming that she was being incredibly lazy I set about her with a short length of timber, but she would not arise, no matter how strenuous my exertions! I'm glad I can sue you for letting her out and contributing to her untimely demise.

ejaewon
Site Admin

Counting unhatched chickens all in one basket

Post by ejaewon » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:05 am

Well the other day I bought a dozen eggs and put them all in a container that was woven and had handles. They're still here next to me - I've counted them a couple of times too, just to be sure. That's twelve chickens on the way!

rain

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Post by rain » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:13 am

Well if I were you (and thankfully, I'm not) I would try and pick them all up with your bare mitts - apparently they are more valuable in that situation than in, say, a small shrub.

ejaewon
Site Admin

Don't beat around the bush!

Post by ejaewon » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:17 am

Here's a suggestion. Why don't you get a large stick, find that small shrub, and repeatedly strike the ground next to it? I think that would be a far better suggestion.

rain

Between a rock and a hard place

Post by rain » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:22 am

If it is the small shrub that I am thinking of, there is not alot of ground next to it to be waving sticks around in - you see, it is between a chunk of solidified lava and an area which is really quite firm ...

ejaewon
Site Admin

To kill two birds with one stone

Post by ejaewon » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:32 am

Ooh bugger. Ok I have some good new and some bad news. The good news is the chickens have hatched (sadly there were only nine... perhaps I shouldn't have counted them earlier?). The bad news is I accidentally dropped a lump of hard consolidated mineral matter into their box. Tragically two of them died.

rain

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

Post by rain » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:41 am

I'm shocked! In the house that you live in (the one composed entirely of a silica/oxygen compound) I can't believe that you'd be chucking pieces of igneous deposits! I've told you not to, who knows what the consequences could be!

ejaewon
Site Admin

A Dime A Dozen

Post by ejaewon » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:07 pm

I know I know. I should be more careful. I'm not so worried about the number of chickens that hatched. Did I mention I got them for a steal? A man at the market (who I noticed could have been a picnic if he only had a few more sandwiches) sold them to me for an old US ten cent piece!

rain

Blood is thicker than water

Post by rain » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:12 pm

Actually I think I know that guy - was it Bob Blood? I saw him involved in a loud quarrel on Wednesday afternoon. Unfortunately for Bob I had to side with the other guy, Tim Water, whose arguments were persuasive and well reasoned. But, as everyone around here already knows, Blood is thicker than Water ...